Custom Search

Thursday, December 17, 2009

So many car seats!

Graco My Ride 65 Convertible Car Seat - Spiral - Graco  - Babies"R"Us

It was time for me to get Ryder the next size car seat. I thought this would be fairly simple. Go to Babies R us, ask a lady which one we should choose, purchase and leave the store. How wrong was I! I was there for nearly two hours. I didn't know there would be so many options with so many features. Yes, features! Do you want a cup holder? Do you want the air side inpact feature? (Air bags!!!??) Do you want to spend $99 or $300? Do you want a combo car seat? (sits reverse or frontward) ....and the list goes on. 

I checked out ICBC website for some car seat info. Check out this site Car Seat Brochure There is some important safety information.

One thing I had to keep in mind is that Ryder was to stay in the reverse position in his car seat until he is at least one. So since that is only just over four months away a combo seat made the most sense to me. So I had it down to 2 options. Good, process of elimination. Now did I want the air impact protection? The new Safety 1st Air Protect offered mostly everything I was looking for. It is in the higher price range at $299.00  and after reading some online reviews it seemed like not a good choice because of its size. My husband drives a small car and it won't fit backwards in it. Another thing I didn't like was the seats cover was difficult to remove for cleaning. This car seat wouldn't suit our needs.
The 2nd car seat we were considering and ended up buying was the new Graco My ride 65. We chose this one because it allows a child to sit read-facing up to 40 lbs, longer then most car seats. It has an energy absorbing foam and side impact testing. It is easy to remove the cover and is machine washable. It is fairly light weight which is a bonus. It also has duel cup holders.  This seat cost $219.00 


Do your research and read reviews when choosing a car seat. Ask the store if you can try hooking it up in your car to make sure it fits. Find out the safety regulations in your area.  The ICBC website states that a correctly used child safety seat reduces the risk of fatality by 71 percent and the risk of serious injury by 67 percent.  


So ensure your childs safety and find the right car seat for you.


* You may have seen recently on the news the car seats that have been recalled. Check out this site Car seat recall to see if your car seat is on that list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment